Steroid hormone is a bunch of hormones which belongs to the chemical compound called steroid. The secretion of this chemical compound is done by three steroid glands namely adrenal cortex, testes, and ovaries. Every kind of steroid hormones are produced from cholesterol, which then further is transmitted to the cells of organs through bloodstream.
Classification of steroids
There are mostly two groups of UK steroids depending upon there functions:
- Sex steroids.
Corticosteroids are man-made drugs which benefits the consumer by enhancing their performance level. This drug mainly helps in reduction in inflammation caused in the body.
Cortisol is a hormone produced naturally in the body, which deliberately plays a major role in the bodily activities related to immune system, metabolism rate, etc.
Corticosteroids has wide range of side effects it may even show some fatal side effects when consumed heavily. Let’s get explored with some of its treating conditions, as well as the potential the side effects.
What do corticosteroids treat?
Corticosteroids are used to treat wide range of allergies and even some life threating organ inflammation. some health conditions include:
- High fever.
- Inflammatory bowel disease.
- Multiple sclerosis.
Addison’s disease is a disease, where the body couldn’t produce enough cortisol which then balanced by taking corticosteroids in heavy dose.
What are the side effects of corticosteroids?
As per the reports most of side effects occurs while consuming oral steroids, some side effects include:
- High blood pressure.
- Increased risk of infections.
- Mood or behavioural changes.
- Nausea and vomiting.
- Bones fractures.
- Face swelling and puffiness.
Sex steroids are also called as gonadocorticoids, and gonadal steroids. The luteinizing hormone, follicle stimulating hormone, polypeptide hormones and gonadotropin-releasing hormone are not necessarily considered as sex steroid hormones.
- Progestogens, which is also named as gestagens. This type of steroid hormones is held for binding and activating the progesterone receptor (PR). Progesterone is the most vital hormones produced in the body which regulates proper functioning in periods as well as in estrous and menstrual cycles.
- Androgen is a natural as well as synthetic hormone it maintains and regulates the production of male characterises which includes the primary as well as secondary characteristics. The production of androgen takes place in testis, ovaries, and adrenal glands. Testosterone is a hormone which is produced both in males and females however, it is largely produced in males as compared to females which stands for its only difference.
- Estrogen which is also called as oestrogen, is a hormone which is directly produced in female reproductive system. Estradiol is the most power full and effective estrane, which helps to achieve and regulate female secondary sex characteristics.
Some basic functions of steroid hormones
Steroids hormones maintains various characteristics in the body which includes:
- Regulation of carbohydrate content in body.
- It helps in maintaining the mineral content inside of a body.
- Regulates the functioning of bone metabolism.
- Helps in regulation of reproductive functions.
- Activates DNA which counts for protein synthesis.
- Helps in maintaining the cardiovascular functions.
- Stress response.